We were very excited when we posted Joomla’s upgrade to 2.5 back in March 2012. Yet again, it is no secret that Joomla’s latest update to 3.0 back on September last year was huge for web developers and businesses needing a robust, stable, and competitive web presence.
Joomla! has shown a lot of change from the original1.0 to 1.5 to 2.5 and now 3.0. The new changes are revolutionary and the effects and benefits immediately experienced by admins and visitors alike. This is big news for Joomla users, and yet another reason for Joomla users to stick to this versatile open source CMS (content management system) platform.
This release is important for users that need access to the new features. However, most users may not want to update from their existing 2.5 versions websites to the latest 3.0, and users creating new sites can use either version 2.5 or 3.0 depending on their needs. Joomla will provide updates for 3.0.x versions until the next major update to 3.5 as with its latest 3.0.2 security update back in November of 2013.
So what does this latest installment of Joomla mean for businesses and Web Developers? End users will be interested in the following important changes and features:
MOBILE R3ADY — Joomla! takes a big leap into the mobile space with a total overhaul of both its frontend design and administrator interface. With the adoption of the Bootstrap framework, Joomla! has become the first major CMS to be mobile ready in both the visitors and administrator areas. Now every website can have mobile friendly content for visitors and mobile friendly tools for administrators.
US3R Friendly — Joomla administration has a brand new look and feel, built with the power of Bootstrap responsive framework, along with a touch of the awesome UI/UX work of the Joomla JUX team. Joomla comes ready to go and fully responsive for mobile devices, tablets, and normal computer screens. The entire backend of Joomla has a brand new look and feel that will improve your workflow with any type of device.
IMPROVED DEVELOPERS TOOLS — Spend less time coding and building interfaces with Joomla 3. The Joomla User Interface (JUI) library gives you a standardized backend & frontend interface. This means that for businesses, developers can turn out website quicker, with more features, and meeting customer needs even easier with the improved tools and libraries.
Other great improvements that are included with 3.0 are:
- Extensive work on code style standardization and consistency
- Incorporation of Twitter Bootstrap
- A new responsive administrator template Isis and interface.
- A new frontend template Protostar built using Bootstrap
- PostgreSQL Driver. You will be able to run Joomla 3.0 sites using the PostgreSQL database.
- Installation of language packages directly from the extension manager
- Guest user group present by default
- Saving blank articles allowed
- New administrator statistics module
- Update TinyMCE to version 3.5.6
- Continued clean-up of older unused code, files and database fields and tables and improved standardization of tables.
- Improvements to Smart Search
- Unit testing in the CMS
- Blank articles can be saved
- Totally new administrator statistics module
- Menu module consists a custom active menu item
- Updated system tests in the CMS
Joomla! has created a whole new world with 3.0 by improving almost every aspect of this very powerful CMS. Changes, including brand new look and feel along with many features under the hood, makes this the CMS still favored by BrixTec Web Solutions.
813 421 9352